A few weeks ago, I was reading Turtle Girls’ Blog and she mentioned a mystery knitalong that she was running with her friend from Dragonfly Fibers – the Djinni Sock. I was smitten, but knew I had to finish my monsters. I picked out a nice purple (before I read Christi’s warning about not using a dark color), and loved it as soon as I saw it:
I cast on Saturday night, and am now into chapter 2. This is a fun pattern, definitely one that needs my attention, but I’m really enjoying it. Here’s where I am as of right now (via phone pic):
Rut Race Progress: Not so much on the physical activity. Two meetings this week have kept me out till after 9:00 Monday and Tuesday. However, I am focusing my time and energy a little differently at work, which is helping a bit on my productivity. So, no complaints at this point.
While the monsters are taking a lot of my time, I do have another project on the needles. I decided it was time to try a shawlette. Many of the podcasts I listen to have been talking about them, from Stash & Burn to Double Knit and The Knitmore Girls, it seems that whenever I listen someone is talking about shawlettes. Additionaly, my feed reader has been blooming shawlettes as well. I have to admit, they just didn’t have the pull for me that they seemed to have for other people, but I was intrigued. Then I started to see Hitchhiker popping up all over the place. The idea of such a geometric pattern caught my attention, and then I saw some people working on Lintilla and decided that I’d like to give it a whirl.
I found some fun yarn from ZarzuelasFibers – her Chakra series. I had picked out the Vishuddha, and when I received it I decided I’d try it with the Lintilla. I love the idea behind the naming of the colors, and have enjoyed watching Jessica’s journey to become a yoga instructor and learning from her about the practice. So, when she ran a special I jumped at the opportunity to try some.
I’m taking my time with this, and I have to admit, I’m not convinced the yarn and the pattern are working together, but I do love them each separately. I’ll give it a few more repeats, and then decide.
Overall I like the way the pattern is coming together:
I just think that the color repeats may be better suited in a stockinette rather than than a garter stitch:
I just don’t know. So, I’ll keep at it and see what I think. Any input is welcome.
As suspected, once I hit the color-work on my Dale Sweater the yoke was going to fly by. I cast off the second shoulder this evening:
This is when I’m really glad I knit the sleeves first. I’m not sure I’d have the will to continue after pushing through this body.
Here’s a close up of the unblocked yoke:
What’s amazing is once the knitting is complete, the taupe really seems to pop. When on the needles, it was very hard to differentiate it from the white.
I’ve got a lot more to do, least of all sewing in the ends, but next step after blocking is STEEKING! Now that I’ve done it a few times, I no longer dread it. I can’t wait!
I didn’t realize that the sweater had a cord at the hem, so I’ve been searching for accessory kits and debating the value of a Dale Zipper. I think I’ll wait till it’s blocked so I can measure the opening.
We got some of the leap year day snow storm today, but I didn’t get any pictures. If there’s still snow in the morning, I’ll try to capture it. I hope if you were in the path of the storm you are staying warm!
The other thing I love about felted (or fulling, as I recall it’s more accurately called) is how quickly the items knit up. I get to work on really big needles with really big yarn.
The base is done, and the roof is nearing completion. So far so good!
Well, I’ve made it to the end of the month. I wasn’t sure if I could, but I actually managed to post something every single day of the month! I’ve found a few new knitting blogs doing this, and I have to agree with the sentiments that others have expressed. I think posting every single day is rather excessive. Posting once a month is definitely too infrequent. So, I think for December I’ll make a conscious effort to post 2 or three times a week. There were plenty of posts that were just pointless and/or rambling.
I like the idea of WIP Wednesdays – and I’d like to make them a regular feature.
So, without further ado…
I do have three projects in progress, but I have realized that I tend to work on one thing at a time. So, two of these are done from a knitting perspective, and just need the final finishing:
Just off the needles last night is Eliza’s cowl:
Here’s a close up:
I’ve sewn in the ends, and all that’s left is to block it.
The Cambrian Cowl hasn’t progressed much. I’ve blocked it, but still need to sew in the ends, and sew on the buttons:
Finally, I actually picked the Dale Sweater back up today, so I think it counts:
So, happy end of NaBloPoMo!
So a few weeks ago, my left elbow hurt after I took a somewhat long (for me) bike ride. I thought it was just irritated, so I waited a few weeks before I called the doctor. Well after three months of it getting worse, I finally called. Long boring story short, I have tennis elbow. I’ve been doing therapy for the past week, and I think it’s going to help, but it won’t be instantaneous.
I think part of what caused it is my knitting – I am a continental knitter, so it probably is part of why my elbow went out on me. So, right now I’m icing my elbow as I contemplate what is on my needles. My Dale Sweater which is quite likely the culprit:
18 inches of stockinette before I put in the steek stitches, in size 3.5mm needles.
So, to try to provide a little relief I thought it might help to cast on something in a heavier yarn. I had just received my copy of Coastal Knits and knew I wanted to do something from there. I have never knit a cowl, so the Cambrian Cowl seemed like a logical project to balance out the Dale Sweater. It is certainly a fun knit. And it fits well in my new bag from Jessalu!